Why you should care
Phone fraud is becoming a real problem in the UK, costing businesses an estimated £953 million. It can result in bill shock and loss of service, which can be disruptive to your business operations.
According to a survey commissioned by ITSPA which surveyed 1,000 businesses across the UK, 27% had been hacked in the past five years, costing each business £12,000 on average.
How do they succeed?
- Hackers scan the internet looking for IP addresses and also PBX’s with security weakness or which haven’t been configured properly.
- Hackers will typically target holiday seasons such as Christmas, Easter and bank holidays when the office is quieter and closed for a longer period of time.
- The time period 2am - 6am is particularly popular as most businesses will not be operating as normal and fraudulent activity is more likely to go undetected.
The most common losses
- Compromised PBX - hacking of PBX and setting up of premium rate/international numbers
- Calls made from elsewhere using SIP credentials
- Calls made from VoIP accounts using stolen credit Cards
- Phone fraud is a problem, however rest assured, you can trust us to protect your business.
- We work with one of the UK’s largest providers of voice services and voice applications, who offer a number of features to help mitigate the risk of phone fraud. Free call-barring on all our on-network services (SIP and Horizon).
- We can set up a call bar plan at a company level which can be edited on a per user basis.
- Free account monitoring alerts - we set a threshold for total spend on your account, we send an email and or SMS when the threshold is hit. If it looks fraudulent we can deal with it.
- Free call alert thresholds - we can set a spend threshold on any CLI, we will be notified if this exceeds the threshold and can help support you.
- Financial indemnity - we set an agreed spend level per customer. Once it hits 100% of the daily limit we set a cap, effectively it’s financial indemnity for your peace of mind, we will pick up any cost of fraud above this capped level.
- We can stop the calling of network barred ranges earlier in the process.
- Early monitoring of WLR calls - third party BT CDR distribution is a day or so behind, so we actively report on their unrated CDRs to catch it earlier.
If you'd like to know more, we offer a FREE Telephony Assessment - you can get in touch to arrange yours here.
The three pillars of Mirus are:
Delivering outstanding service.
Offering strategically successful solutions.
Providing consistent customer satisfaction.